Pumpkins are an amazing food! They are rich in beta-carotene which is a powerful antioxidant known to help reduce your risk of cancer. They are also rich in vitamin A which can improve and help aid in keeping that sharp eyesight of yours. Their seeds are filled with plant-based chemicals called phytosterols, which studies show help reduce bad cholesterol levels! Basically a pumpkin is a health food all its own!
I love to bake in the fall and winter, and much of that baking involves pumpkin purée! I do not go to the store for that canned pumpkin stuff, instead I go down to the farm pick out the perfect looking Cheese Pumpkin and get to work! It is beyond easy, and far more rich in vitamins and nutrients than store bought pumpkin. I wanted to share how easy it is with all of you, so you can tell your friends that that pumpkin cake you made was COMPLETELY homemade!
Krupski Farms Perfect Purée
1 pumpkin (I prefer cheese pumpkin)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With a damp paper towel wipe off any dirt that may be on your pumpkin.
- Cut your pumpkin in half, and then into smaller pieces
- Next scoop out the stringy guts and seeds! Don’t throw those bad boys away!!! Save them and roast them! They’re my fave healthy salty snack!
- Next cut the scooped pumpkin pieces in half and place on a baking sheet. I line mine with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven when fully cooked. If you like poke with a fork to make sure they are fully cooked. Then let them cool, about 15 min.
- Scoop out the meat of the pumpkin into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth
- Pour puree into containers and refrigerate up to a week. You may also scoop 1cup servings into ziplock bags and freeze them, laying flat. Voila! You have delicious, nutritious homemade pumpkin purée! Now go make yourself some pumpkin pie!!!
BONUS: Pumpkin Seeds
If your kids are anything like I was as a kid, they will love digging their hands into the pumpkin guts and sorting out the seeds! I used to LOVE helping my dad roast pumpkin seeds every Halloween, and they are still such a delicious snack!
- Leave the oven on 350!
- Take the pumpkin guts and with your fingers squeeze out the seeds into a foil lined cookie sheet. It’s ok if some guts get on there!
- Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Place in oven for about 20 min, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy!!!!
Hope you enjoy these easy, simple, yummy recipes! More to come with that pumpkin purée! Stay tuned!