Let's face it, life gets a little busy when summer hits! If you're anything like me you are in a state of shock that it's already August…. I mean where in the heck has our summer gone?!
Since June my days and weeks have been jam packed, and it's hard to remember the last time I had a day to relax and cook my hubby an elaborate meal. Ain't nobody got time for that!
Between the wedding, honeymoon, coming home to the farm being in full swing, and carving out what little time we have left to spend with family, friends and each other, the hours seem to slip away before I have time to plan our dinner. I have been trying out a ton of new quick easy combinations for dinner, and the other night I came up with a real hit!
At first Nick couldn't believe that any meal without meat would be satisfying after a long hot day on the farm; his heart and his stomach was quickly won over by this one! This is a meal that can be quickly made, and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry already!
So here are my super quick and Easy stuffed peppers. If you would like to add meat, i suggest cutting the amount of quinoa or rice you use in 1/2 and substituting it with 1 lb of ground turkey or beef. But trust me when I tell you they're amazing without any!
1 cup cooked quinoa (or rice)
1.5 cups basic tomato sauce (nothing too flavorful)
1 15 oz can black beans
1.5 tbs pickled jalepeño
6 Krupski Farms Green Peppers
1 tbs paprika
1/2 tbs garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 425° F.
- Cut the tops off of your peppers, scrape out seeds and veins and place in a baking dish. Fill the bottom of the dish with water, only so that about a half inch of the bottom of the peppers is submerged. This will keep them from burning.
- In a mixing bowl combine the quinoa and tomato sauce, mixing well until sauce is evenly distributed.
- Next add in the diced jalepeño and black beans, stirring until well mixed.
- Finally add the most important ingredient (in my very biased opinion) : the avocado. Mix until avocado is evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture into the peppers until they are full to the top! Place them in the oven and back for 40-45 min, or until pepper is tender and cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy these yummy quick, easy, and healthy peppers!
Note: If you are a cheese addict like my husband you can sprinkle the peppers with Parmesan cheese before placing them in the oven, or top with a slice of your favorite cheese for the last 2 minutes in the oven.
See how easy that was! My skeptical husband said several times that he couldn't believe how good the filling was! I'm thinking about trying a variation in which I just use salsa instead of the tomato sauce, but this was absolutely delicious!
If you're short on time this week, try it out! Let me know if you try it and love it! Have a very happy weekend! Happy cooking!